How do I become a Newton Police Officer?

Please see our employment page for information and to download an employment application form. Forms require Adobe Acrobat® Reader software.

How do I apply for a pistol permit or renew my old one?

All applicants must :

  • Be a resident of the Town of Newton, New Hampshire
  • Complete a State of New Hampshire Application for Resident Pistol/Revolver License form which can be obtained at the Newton Police Department or can be downloaded here
  • Be 18 years of age or older
  • All applicants will be subject to a criminal record check and subsequently must be approved by the Chief of Police to be a suitable person to be licensed. The fee for the permit is $10.00.
  • Permit Application Form Available in Adobe PDF File Format

How do I request criminal record information?

Apply in person at New Hampshire State Police Headquarters, 33 Hazen Drive, Concord, NH (with picture I.D.) or download the NH Criminal History Check (pdf). Have the application notarized and mail it to the above address. A release to a third party requires a similar notarization and a third party signature. There is a $25.00 fee.

How do I obtain a copy of a police report?

Request forms are available at the front desk of the police station or may be downloaded here. You will need to know some specific information in order for us to retrieve the report. Not all police reports are public information. A copy of the Newton Police Department’s policy on dissemination of police reports is also available at the station. Police Report Request Available in Adobe PDF File Format.

What is the procedure/requirements for licensing my dog?

Dogs that are 4 months old or over must be licensed annually. This is done through the office of the Town Clerk. You must bring a current proof of rabies shot from your veterinarian. The cost is $6.50 if the dog is spayed or neutered, $10.00 if the dog is not spayed or neutered. Residents age 65 or older pay $2.00. Dog licenses are effective from May 1 of each year to April 30 of the subsequent year. If you fail to license or renew your dog’s license by April 30th, you will be subject to a $25.00 penalty. If you no longer own your dog, please notify the Town Clerk.

I found a dead bird and I am concerned about the West Nile Virus. What do I do?

West Nile Virus Info 1-866-273-6453

What are the hours and phone numbers for the Town Offices and the Transfer Station?

Selectmen/Town Clerk’s Office:
Selectmen Phone 382-4405
Town Clerk Phone 382-4096
Monday 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Tuesday 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Wednesday 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Thursday 12:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.

Transfer Station:
Phone 382-7250
Tuesday 12:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.
Wednesday CLOSED
Thursday 12:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.
Saturday 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

Who do I talk to about a problem with my landlord?

For landlord/tenant disputes, go to the 10th Circuit Court Plaistow District Division, 14 Elm Street, Plaistow (1-855-212-1234) and file a 540A Petition. This will require the landlord to appear before a judge to answer your grievance.

What are my options regarding behavioral problems with my (minor) child?

There are several options available to families:

Family Mediation & Juvenile Services
of Southern Rockingham County
16 Academy Avenue
Atkinson, NH 03811
(603) 362-9957

Provides resources to youths and families in order to reduce delinquency and out of home placements, and to empower them as individuals, family members, and citizens of the community. Programs offered are: Parent-Child Mediation, Peer Mediation, Substance Abuse Awareness Course, Anger Management Course, Stop Shoplifting Course, Tobacco Education, Community Service Program, and Restitution Program.


A CHINS (“child in need of services”) is a legal process that helps address specific behavioral problems of children under the age of 18. Specifically a child who is expressly found to:

  • habitually, willfully, and without good and sufficient cause, be truant from school;
  • habitually run away from home;
  • repeatedly disregard the reasonable and lawful commands of his parents; or
  • place him or herself in unsafe circumstances.

A CHINS petition requires the parents/guardians and the child to appear in court. A Juvenile Service Officer (JSO) may be assigned to the case and may conduct an investigation. The judge considers all of the facts presented to him concerning the child and then issues a final order that is most appropriate for the child, the family and the public interest.

If you have any questions, or for more information and forms for filing a CHINS, contact the police department or courthouse.

How do I obtain a restraining order?

Domestic Violence Protection orders may be obtained from Rockingham County Family Court, which is on Route 125 in Brentwood, or from Plaistow District Court, 14 Elm Street, Plaistow. Civil restraining orders must be obtained by order of the Rockingham County Superior Court (642-5256). There is a fee for a civil restraining order. Stalking orders are also issued at the Rockingham County Superior Court. There is no charge for a stalking order.

Please feel free to call if you have any questions regarding this process.

Listed below are some additional services that are available:

NH Coalition Against Domestic and Sexual Violence
P.O. Box 353
Concord, NH 03302-0353
(603) 224-8893 – Office

Rape and Domestic Violence Crisis Center
P.O. Box 1344
Concord, NH 03302-1344
1-800-852-3388 – Crisis Line
(603) 225-7376 – Office

Sexual Assault Support Services
7 Junkins Avenue
Portsmouth, NH 03801
1-888-747-7070 – Crisis Line
(603) 436-4107 – Office

A Safe Place
P.O. Box 674
Portsmouth, NH 03802
1-800-852-3388 – Crisis Line
(603) 436-7924 – Office

The Newton Police Department recommends the services of “A Safe Place”, Portsmouth, NH for assistance with domestic violence related issues. The department will assist in any way possible in order to help resolve these issues.