About the Newton NH Patch
Carriage and wagon shops
were increasingly active, in Newton and surrounding communities from 1870 –
1890’s. The largest of these, within the Town of Newton, was conducted by the
Hayfords and only ceased when the automobile ousted horse-drawn vehicles.
In 1870, with a capital outlay of one hundred
dollars and one assistant, Edward Hayford, an enterprising young man of only 24
years, started his carriage business on a small scale in Newton. The factory’s
location was at 29 South Main Street, where the Gleichauf Professional Building
is currently located.
By 1890, Edward Hayford employed thirty workers and made twenty different styles
of carriages, producing from nine hundred to one thousand carriages annually.
Hayford Carriages found ready sale in New England where they acquired a good
reputation for strength, durability and excellence of finish.
The carriage featured on the patch is a Hayford
(Democrat) Carriage. The actual carriage, which is owned by the Town, is
currently kept in the barn at the Marshall House, which is also the Town’s
Museum, on Wallace Street.
The police department would like to thank Mr.
Forrest Reynolds and Mrs. Mary Marshall, of Newton, for their invaluable
assistance in providing much of the information required to research this issue
and their sincere interests and dedication in passing-on and maintaining a
significant part of Newton’s symbolic history.
8 Merrimac Road
Newton, NH 03858
Emergency Dial 911
Business Line 603.382.6774
FAX Number 603.382.2194